formatting protected USB memory sticks

Colin Rowat c.rowat at espero.org.uk
Tue Jun 3 20:45:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:45:07 +0200, "xerces8" <xerces8 at butn.net> said:
> There is a bug in parted:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/parted/+bug/232175
>
> (WARNING : use the proper device name instead of /dev/sdb in the commands
> !)
>
> Just delete the old partition table : dd if=dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512
> count=1

Thank you David.  I've just tried

 dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/scd1 bs=512 count=1

(/dev/scd1 is the write-protected partition that I'm trying to erase).
In return, I received

 dd: opening `/dev/scd1': Read-only file system

as an error message.

Thus, it seems that I'm still not overcoming whatever write protection
is in place.  Should I see about a powerful magnetic field at this
point, or are there still software options?

Thank you again,

Colin Rowat