Ubuntu on an external drive---how to?

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 00:29:33 UTC 2008

Hi Derek

On Monday 02 June 2008 10:58:46 Derek Broughton wrote:
> Kanda Kumar V wrote:
> > I'm new to ubuntu... I want to install ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop alongside
> > windows...
> > the problem is I can't install ubuntu into my laptop's harddisk as it has
> > only partition and the laptop is given to me by the employer. So i want
> > to install ubuntu in an external usb device (i don't even want a trace of
> > ubuntu in the laptop as it is given by my employer)... indeed i bought an
> > external drive solely for this purpose.
> >
> > I googled and even had searched in ubuntu forums about how to install
> > ubuntu in an external usb device... but still fails...
> >
> > Can anyone help me on this... about getting step-by-step procedure of
> > installing ubuntu in an external usb drive.
>
> I just took my install CD and installed to the external drive...  So some
> description of "still fails" is obviously important.
> --
> derek

Exactly. We need to know what is meant by still fails. For all we know he may
simply be forgetting to adjust the bios to boot from the usb device which is
what I'm suspecting. He may just need to boot into the bios (setup) screen
and adjust his boot preferences. It's something oft overlooked by people
these days. I did an install via my Eee pc on a 16G usb stick and it works
fine but I'm using 7.10 tho that shouldn't be anything of a noticeable
difference re this. If our friend tells us what he does

James