another interesting video problem VLC won't play dvd- resolved.

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Mon Jun 2 18:41:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 14:19 -0400, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> Nautilus does not find a file called (/var/log/Xorg.0.log).

Weird. What do yo see when you list /var/log ?

>  Do you know what directory (is that the linux word?) ...

yes, that's the traditional word. Though graphical file managers like
Nautilus have started to call it "Folder".

>  ... this file is stored in?

The directory is /var/log. The file is Xorg.0.log

> Perhaps I can find it manually.

Open a terminal and enter "ls /var/log > ~/Desktop/var_log.txt" (without
the quotes). After that you will have a file called var_log.txt on the
Desktop. It will contain a list of the content of /var/log. Please
attach (in case the problem of finding and attaching Xorg.0.log
persists)

> I asume it opens with a text editor- is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

> I thought (since I am a fairly basic computer person) you meant for me
> to execute that file and give the read out.

No, it's a text file that contains log output of the display graphics
system (Xorg)

> PS I'll stick with gmail until this problem is resolved.  Switching at
> this point might further compliacate matters.

Sure, no problem.