Ubuntu on an external drive---how to?

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Mon Jun 2 14:17:02 UTC 2008

Am Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:03:00 -0300
schrieb Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:

> > Can you run ubuntu on a flash drive?
>
> You can run ubuntu on a USB rotary drive (I have) so I don't see any
> reason why not.  I don't know enough about the hardware - perhaps
> they don't have an MBR, in which case you'd have to boot off the
> partition superblock.

IIRC booting off USB devices is a feature to be supported (and possibly
enabled) in the machines BIOS configuration. If your machine doesn't
support this and/or it is not enabled in BIOS and/or you're not allowed
to set this up, you're likely to be doomed. Checking your devices BIOS
configuration seems a good idea after all.

Cheers,
Kristian