Fwd: problems with VLC and Totem playing image on external monitor

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:57:02 UTC 2008

I have trouble finding what I am looking for on Help and Support.   I always
gothere first, although perhaps I give up too soon.  I do a search on the
issue; sometimes I might not use the correct vocabulary.

Someone wrote a good essay on linux that I've lost.

I installed grandr and got the link to display on a menu.  Using that menu I
can disable the internal monitor and dvds will play on the external
monitor.  So far so good.

When I want to re-enable the internal monitor I have problems.   As I recall
from last night, I uncheck LDVS 'off.'   I then lose the external monitor
and either the internal one does not reactivate (that's what happened the
first time) or the internal monitor reactivates without the mouse and I lose
the external one.

If this does not make sense, don't spend a lot of your time on it, let me
know and I'll try again and write down what happens.  I am having to recall
from last night.

Gary