ip address on lan getting hijacked

chris dunn chris at dunnz.org
Mon Jun 2 12:00:50 UTC 2008

On Sat, 31 May 2008 23:48:53 -0300S Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
wrote:

> chris dunn wrote:

>> All works well until 9.30 a.m. every morning when 192.168.1.2 is taken
>> down and reset to 192.168.1.100, apparently by dhclient accessing the dhcp
>> server running on the wap. Any nxclient connections crash as the nxserver
> > ip address has changed.

> > To those suggesting a change to dhcp from static addresses, I don't think
> > this is a workable option for me, unless maybe going into the router and
> > linking machine names to the mac addresses is the way to go. I need to
> > know the addresses of the machines on the lan.

> That's exactly why you link IPs (not names) to MAC addresses.
> --
> derek

Removing dhclient (and dhcdbd) from the box seems to have cured my problem. At
9.30 a.m. on Sunday there was no connection breaking event, and no messages
in syslog.

A bit silly running dhclient when I'm using fixed ip addresses I guess. I
think it's a relic from trying to get a wireless pci card working.

Still perplexed at the 9.30 a.m. timing of the disconnect. There is nothing I
can see in cron that would likely spark the event, and I can only think it is
somehow prompted by running dhclient alongside avahi-daemon.

Thanks to all for the very informative responses.

--

Chris Dunn