Hardy: Firefox and(lack of) Java Applets

Kenneth P. Turvey kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com
Mon Jun 2 07:53:33 UTC 2008

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:33:54 +0000, Anthony Gardner wrote:

> 32 bits .... which plugins? Everything seems fine.
>
> is there a list of plugins/paths we should have?
>
> Why is it her setup looks like mine but hers doesn;t work.
>
> Why is this a very frustrating release?
>
> Disclaimer: Technically speaking, I am always wrong!
>
> --- On Sun, 1/6/08, Kenneth P. Turvey
> <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com> wrote: From: Kenneth P. Turvey
> <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com> Subject: Re: Hardy: Firefox
> and(lack of)  Java Applets To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Sunday, 1 June, 2008, 3:06 PM
>
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:54:04 +0000, Anthony Gardner wrote:
>
> > Having googled, it seems as though java applets are not working
> > correctly under Firefox ( 2 and 3 b). All suggestions for getting
> this > problem fixed already exist on my friend's lappy (Dell
> Precision M60) >
> > The Java Version test works fine, I can see the file upload applet
> on my > machine (both running Hardy)
> [Snip]
>
> 64 bits?
>
> There isn't a java plugin for the 64 bit operating systems.  If you
> google Ubuntu 64 bit applet plugin you'll find the information you need.
>
> If you aren't running 64 bits then it is just a matter of installing the
> plugin in your browser.  Again google is your friend.
>
> --
> Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>
> http://www.electricsenator.net
>
>   Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from
>   acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
>         -- W. Somerset Maugham

Do a Google search on "applet plugin mozilla ubuntu"

I think you'll find what you need.  Really you just need to create a
symbolic link from your mozilla plugins directory to your java plugin.
I'd give you more details, but I'm not sure how technically proficient
you are.

Just do the google search.  If you start reading something much more
complicated than that above, you've gone too far.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

  The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly
  enforced.
        -- Frank Zappa