Comparison of Virtualisation options?

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 02:18:42 UTC 2008

Is there documentation anywhere on the relative merits of KVM,
Virtualbox, VMware, Wine, ... ?  I've done some searching and
not found much, other than a few blog posts and a very general
comparison here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

I'm more interested pointers to any general discussion than
in my particular problem, but for completeness I'll give details
on that.

I want to run some Windows games, some with moderately
heavy 3D, on my Xubuntu desktop box. The machine should
have more than enough resources (dual 2666 MHz, 2 gigs
RAM, Intel G31 onboard video).

I have a legal copy of 98 SE lying around. All the applications
I want here run on 98 and 2000; I do not know about later
Windows versions.

I'm in China, so I can have any version of Windows I want
for about a dollar (with another dollar each for MS Office
and Photoshop for the commonest PC configuration here),
but I'd really rather not do that. Nor do I want to pay for a
legitimate copy of a later Windows just for these games.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China