can't use Google Earth !

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 18:42:07 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:58 PM, Ahmed Hosny <ahmed.hosny.eg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any One Can ??

You'll need to provide more details of your system before we can help
you. First are you using the google earth that is in the repositories
or the one downloaded from google?

Second, do you have an ATI graphics card? If so, which one? Is 3d
supported - what is the output of glixinfo?

$ glxinfo | grep "direct"

Does it say that it's supported?

Note that I am only able to run google earth if I use the one from the
repositories. I'm also on 64-bit hardy heron, amd64x2 and nvidia 6100,
using nvidia-glx-new video driver. And then I have to sudo to run it.
(Same behavior in debian lenny, only *much faster*!!!)

>> i'm on Hardy
>> Ram: 512 MB
>> Hard: 80 GB

Don't think it'll run well in 512 meg. Officially, that's supported,
but it'll be painful. See if you can upgrade. I have 2 gig RAM here.

>> ), so i do reconfigure it

Did you do a 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'?

resources being used. But this is on an amd64, so it's using ia32libs
and some other stuff to run it. That could be your hang, or you just
might be running scarce on ram. Do you have a swap partition?