ip address on lan getting hijacked

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Jun 1 16:14:06 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>    I did read and know he does have other machines connected. But on my
> router this machine is 192.164.1.2 and it has been that for years. Even
> though it is set for DHCP. I think the guy's router at 9:30 wants to
> re-cycle but the demand for the static IP causes a problem.

There are plenty of things you can get to work seemingly fine and still
not be doing it "right".

Using plain DHCP on your network with your one computer will most likely
keep it at the same address, and you can use that address to port
forward to your computer from the outside and connect from other
computers and declare from the hills that you've never had any problem
with this.

That still doesn't mean that there isn't a chance someone with a
wireless computer or a network device introduced into your network won't
end up stealing the address at some point and screwing up your perfectly
working configuration and leave you scratching your head why when it's
blatantly obvious you were building a tower on a foundation of sand with
your network.