vi almost unusable in recovery console

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 31 19:35:09 UTC 2008

On 07/31/2008 10:36 AM, Brian McKee wrote:

> I'm off to file a bug - wish I knew what the right package to complain
> about was.
> I'm kinda shocked nobody's noticed this before.  Maybe I'm missing
> something obvious - or maybe everybody just uses the live cd for this
> stuff normally.
>
> Brian

I just loaded up "rescue a broken system" and see what you mean. FYI:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nano/+bug/154396
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rescue/+bug/35400
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rescue/+bug/228249

If you have a working network connection on the machine:

# apt-get install bogl-bterm

That installs bterm and thereafter you will be able to use vi or nano in
"rescue a broken system". This is  a pretty serious bug IMO as you
shouldn't have to have a network connection the "rescue a broken system".