The Ubuntu Experiment

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 17:49:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 2008/7/31 Steve C. Lamb <grey at dmiyu.org>:
>> How does adblockplus prevent virus infections? Does this apply to
>> browser exploits as well?
> I'm not sure about Ad Block - I run that myself and as far as I as know
> it just blocks annoying ads coming up ... maybe there is a little
> security to it as well.
>
> What *does* help with security is NoScript

Of note here is the trend lately for the viruses etc to come from ads
served up on legitimate main stream pages.

People have been infected surfing to NHL.com,  MSNBC, Facebook  and
similar because the third party ad service posted an ad containing
malware.

I'd like to point out the big hole this blows in the "I'm smart enough
about what I do online I don't need AV" argument.  You just don't know
anymore where 'safe' is - there's no 'safe' place out there.

Where I'm going with this is adblockers may in fact help.

And a big +1 for NoScript thing.

Brian