Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 31 17:27:37 UTC 2008

On 07/31/2008 10:14 AM, Marcin ‘Qrczak’ Kowalczyk wrote:
> 2008/7/31 NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> @Jerry: try as Steve has been suggesting all along; reburn at slower
>> speeds. At 4x I had I/O buffer errors and eventually ended up at a
>> standard gdm login screen requiring UID/PW, at 2x it made it through to
>> the normal liveCD.
>
> I am surprised.
>
> Anyway, Brasero offers to check contents after burning by comparing
> checksums with the original. This starts to sound like a good idea for
> me, given that it is so easy to burn with errors which remain
> undetected.

Well, the 4x now managed to make it all the way through on the Thinkpad
after turning off acpi (F6). So in this case it's probably a combination
of the drive, old bios/system, etc. The drive is a little flakey on that
laptop - there are times when I have to use the 'hammer-if-not-working'
method to get it to properly read a CD/DVD :-) I'll try it again (4x)
with acpi turned on and see if I can manage to get to the UID/PW screen
again to figure out why it would end up with the gdm login screen.