The Ubuntu Experiment

Steve C. Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Thu Jul 31 16:33:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:24:06PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Oh give me a break.  "It" doesn't get spyware.  Idiot users get spyware.

    If by idiot users you mean the average person who is unaware of security
concerns with running anything Microsoft, then yes.  Sorry, if you take the
same user and plop them on any other OS and they don't get spyware then it
isn't the user that's the problem, it is the OS.

    To ensure that the average users on my home network don't get their
machines hosed I have had to impress upon them that browsing throgh a
squid/adzapper proxy is a good thing, weened them off of IE as much as
possible, installed adblockplus, run my own mail server with anti-virus and
spam scanning (both incoming and outbound) and ensure their virus scanner is
up to date.  I'm not being elitest in saying I would not expect the average
user to do even half that.

> Absolutely.  I said "for all its faults".  It has many, but it crashes no
> more often than any other OS.

    And as people have pointed out here, your anecdotal evidence is running
face first into ours.  I have a machine at home with a higher uptime than some
rack mounted servers in a data center doing less work.  The major difference
between the two is the OS.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       | main connection to the switchboard of souls.