Problem with USB

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Jul 31 15:43:44 UTC 2008

Pat Brown wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>

>> Just for fun, have you tried to unmount it and remount it (manually)
>> with the rw flag set?  Do you have anything in /etc/fstab that is
>> associated to the mount point your flash drive is using?  What does
>> /etc/mtab say when it's mounted?
>>

> I've mounted and remounted it a few times. The permissions are drwx. I
> have a second USB which works fine, no read-only issues. I can also use
> this USB in my ASUS EEE PC with no issues. Thanks to all for your
> suggestions.

Okay,correct me if I'm wrong, but if that really is the perms on the
drive, why do you say it's read only?  Based on what you say the perms
are (drwx) the owner has total permissions for that drive.  You don't
give the entire permissions line like:

drwxr-xr-x  2 markh markh       4096 2007-06-07 20:34 Templates

So I can't tell if maybe the your user isn't the owner (or a member of
the owner group) and that the 'all others' permissions (the last 3 on
that line, mine above for all others is READ and EXECUTE) is read only.
Keep in mind the permissions you've listed also show that it's a
directory, so anything under that directory may not be RW.  Can you post
the entire line of that mounted drive?

I really think this is something simple related to the system that's
having trouble, rather than a corrupt flash drive.

--
Mark Haney
mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
 Kernel: 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 GNU/Linux

 16:31:50 up 3 days,  6:20,  2 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.77, 0.85