Win98 -- all kidding aside

Jimmy Montague rhetoric102 at iowatelecom.net
Thu Jul 31 11:27:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 10:23 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:51:55 -0500
> Jimmy Montague <rhetoric102 at iowatelecom.net> wrote:
>
> > Is there anybody here who can make the Ubuntu GUI work with my floppy
> > drive?
>
> Not sure what your problem is really... apart from one that might
> be helped by an anger management course :)
>
> Here it seems pretty straightforward. Insert floppy. Navigate to Places
> - Computer. Right click "floppy" and choose "mount".
>
> Then click either on the icon that appears there saying 1.5 MB Media ,
> or alternatively on the icon that appears on the desktop with the same
> designation.
>
> Or, after mounting the floppy, go to /media/floppy in Nautilus - but
> you won't need to do that since nautilus opens it automatically on
> click anyway.
>
> Before you remove the floppy, right click the icon either in "Computer"
> or on your desktop, and choose "Unmount Volume". You can also do this
> from the left pane in Nautilus if you prefer.
>
> I just tested this here on Ubuntu 8.04 and it all worked as expected.
>
> I don't see any "creaky command lines" in the above, but perhaps I
> missed something.
>
> Peter

Thank you Peter. That works. I've been able to do that for a couple of
days now.

What you missed is that I can't right-click the drive and get a menu
that allows me to format, rename disks, etc.

The add/remove applet tells me that "floppy formatter" is installed, but
the menu system, the GUI doesn't give me access to it. I can access the
disks. I can read/write the drive. But I can't rename, reformat, etc. --
at least, I can't do those things from within the GUI, which is what I
want.

And yes: I'm the kind of a guy who wants what he wants when he wants it
and he doesn't want anything that he doesn't want when he doesn't want
it. But doesn't that pretty much describe every computer user in the
world?

The GUI is supposed to be able to do certain things with floppies. The
software is in place but it doesn't work. I want THAT fixed. I don't
want a command-line solution, unless that solution fixes the problem I'm
having with the GUI.