Win98 -- all kidding aside

Jimmy Montague rhetoric102 at iowatelecom.net
Thu Jul 31 11:08:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 21:59 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> Jimmy Montague wrote:
>

> > No. The message is "use another system." The Mac, for example, handles
> > floppies with ease. But your response probably indicates why Linux does
> > not.
>
> Macs probably *did*. Back then. Macs haven't *had* floppy drives
> since...when?
>
> The ones that *did* have them had sensors that did alert the OS to media
> changes. Didn't I say that already, or are you not quite understanding
> what I'm saying here?

No. You didn't say that already and even if you did, it doesn't speak to
the question. The question is: Can you or can you not tell me how to
make the Ubuntu GUI administer my floppy drive correctly without my
having to learn the command line? It's a Yes or No question, but you
won't answer it. Instead you have from the get-go belittled both me (I'm
unreasonable) and my hardware (it's creaky tech) for asking the question
in the first place.

I asked you nicely once -- remember I said "please"? -- answer my
question or butt out of this thread. But you refuse to do either. You
keep going back to me and my hardware and the command-line solution.

Well, I don't WANT a command-line solution. I'm not INTERESTED in a
command-line solution -- unless it fixes the GUI so it does what it's
supposed to do, e.g.: allow me to read, to write, to format, and to
rename floppy disks, and to perform those tasks with the mouse.