Problem with USB

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Jul 31 11:04:11 UTC 2008

Pat Brown wrote:
> It's Hardy, 8.04 LTS. I can read and write to the USB from my ASUS EEE
> PC and I can read from my Laptop and copy files off it. I ran some tests
> I found online and it looks like it's corrupt. I'm not ready yet to
> format it and lose the data. I'll just keep it as a spare.
>
> Pat Brown
> pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com
> http://www.pabrown.ca/
>
> L.A. Heat, now hotter than ever!
>

> Brian McKee wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Pat Brown <pat.mysterywriter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I looked this issue up in the archives, but while I found that others
>>> seem to have this problem the one thread I found didn't give a solution.
>>> When I insert my USB memory stick into my laptop it comes up as
>>> read-only. I am no longer able to save files to it. I can't find
>>> anything physical on the device which might have been set to read-only.
>>> So does anyone have any ideas?
>>>

>> gutsy or hardy or  ?
>>
>> I remember vaguely issues like that in gutsy.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> It's Hardy, 8.04 LTS. I can read and write to the USB from my ASUS EEE
> PC and I can read from my Laptop and copy files off it. I ran some tests
> I found online and it looks like it's corrupt. I'm not ready yet to
> format it and lose the data. I'll just keep it as a spare.

If you can read and write to it from your EEE PC, then it's not
corrupt.  It's obviously something with the settings on your system
that's mounting it as RO.  Try mounting it manually with RW and see what
happens.

--
Mark Haney
mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
 Kernel: 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686 GNU/Linux

 16:31:50 up 3 days,  6:20,  2 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.77, 0.85