Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 31 03:50:21 UTC 2008

On 07/30/2008 05:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/30/2008 04:36 PM, Jerry Alber wrote:
>

>> NoOp,
>>
>> I used "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer" which is part of
>> the live CD. It should not be asking for a User ID and Password. I've
>> used Knoppix live CD(many different version) and also Kubuntu. They all
>> behave as they should. When the User ID window said "The user ubuntu
>> will be logged in in 10 seconds" if I let it go, it would go to a window
>> with the Hardy Heron logo and 2 folders in the upper left hand corner:
>> Examples and Install. If I clicked on either one, it took me right back
>> to the User ID window.
>>
>> I tried installing this version (8.04) to an empty partition and was
>> asked for a User ID and a Password, which I entered. However it would
>> not accept the user id or password. After going to another partition, I
>> mounted the one where Ubuntu 8.04 had supposedly been installed and
>> after going to the boot directory, I found that there was no grub, just
>> the boot. The only successful install I got was on another computer
>> where I used the whole hard drive.
>>
>> Jerry
>>

> You are absolutely right - it should not ask for a UID/PW.
>
> Well I have to admit that I'm thoughly stumped on this one. I always use
> the Alternate CD for my installs, but I've downloaded the 8.04 LiveCD
> and gave it a spin on 4 different systems and get no UID/PW prompt. Very
> odd. I'll keep digging, but at this point I'm not sure what else to try
> Jerry.
>
> [I'm still working on getting the DVD onto a disc (my dsl line likes to
> reset about 7:00 am every morning & the download wasn't finished - I'm
> now tranfering to my system with the DVD burner on it - it has about 2
> more hours to go).]

OK. I finally got the DVD downloaded and transfered. I burned it at 4x
and loaded it up onto a machine using the "Try Ubuntu without any change
to your computer" and lo and behold it brings up a standard Gnome login
screen asking for a username etc.

Now if I just enter a blank for UID/PW it prompts: Incorrect username
etc. If I enter ubuntu/ubuntu it again shows "Incorrect username" etc.

So, dear Jerry, you are not nuts, not imagining things, and are 100%
correct (at least on the Ubuntu DVD - I cannot reproduce on the
downloaded LiveCD).

I'll try and figure out just what the issue is, but just wanted to let
you know that I *can* reproduce on the Ubuntu DVD downloaded from:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/release/
  ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso
md5sum: 5fddb647c1945b20055d751576dea8fc *ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.iso

Gary