The Ubuntu Experiment

Erik Itland erik.itland at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 21:35:20 UTC 2008

Just wanted to add my reasons:

* Windows XP OEM has bad performance on my laptop, and for no apparent
reason ( HP 6320 w/2GB RAM, Core 2 Duo Processor). Last time I reinstalled,
I thought of just keeping XP, install as few tools as possible, just forget
about Linux, to get things done instead of tweaking Ubuntu. Lasted for a
couple of weeks. Guess I'm spoiled by having a nice, fast OS.
* Kontact / Evolution not in Windows XP package manager (hey, can it be used
to install any software, isn't the XP package manager just for removing
software... :)
* Have not found a good way to enable multiple desktops.
* Not as nice as gnome, and absolutely not close to KDE (running 4.1 today
:)
* Windoes XP takes longer to install, even when "preinstalled" on the
computer.
* Can't read mail while installing XP.
* Have to pay for techical support on XP
* Spyware/virus. (OK, I ran XP for months without antivirus software, but
I'd love to get some of those users to use a less vulnerable OS.)
* Somebody is always working on improving my OS. (Even more evident with
Fedora.)
* So much easier to run Apache, MySQL and PHP.
* Doesn't have to install drivers for scanners, cameras etc. For some
devices I guess it takes 20 minutes just to install the required drivers and
applications. With Ubuntu  it's either plug and play, or I can just forget
about it :P