The Ubuntu Experiment

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Wed Jul 30 21:28:18 UTC 2008

Hi!

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/7/30 Gilles Gravier <gilles at gravier.org>:
>
>> - I use Photoshop / Bridge / RAW CS3 for heavy photography work. GIMP
>> lacks the automation features (I use GIMP when travelling).
>>

> For another project, I write to software distributors and request
> Linux support (either native or compiled against Wine 1.0 now). I have
> written to Adobe numerous times. Their answers get better and better.
> I forsee Photoshop on Linux within three years.

Would be nice.
>> - Some specific Canon photo management tools (ZoomBrowser/EOS/RAW). I
>> use F-Spot on Linux when travelling, but ZB is much more comfortable.
>>

> I will write to ZB. I encourage you to do the same.

You mean write to Canon.
>> - StarryNight Pro (Stellarium on Linux is gorgeous, but lacks MANY of
>> the StarryNight Pro features - I use Stellarium when travelling).
>>

> I'd like to know what those features are. I love Stellarium, what am I
> missing? Again, please write to the StarryNight devs! I will look into
> that program.

- Direct pointing of my telescope to whatever object I want to watch
- Automatic download of ephemerids of satellites, comets, asteroids, so
that I know exactly when and what is in the sky
- Direct tapping to internet information sites when I click on objects
to get detailed information, including sky ephemerids
- A very extensive collection of educational media (videos, texts,
photos) that are accessible directly from the application which is great
for educating people
- An extremely vast catalog of sky objects going to over 10 light years
distance from earth, which enables very fancy "we are a dot in the
space" demo
- Very easily to access "extra solar system" views to show the planets
orbit around the earth in accelerated mode
- Zooming on objects to high (very high) resolution images, and then
extremely realistic models which continue to be animated even in zoomed
mode.

I could go on... Those are the main ones I use.

> What has Nero that K3B has not? I last used Nero 5.5 and I found K3B
> has many more features. I'll gladly file wishbugs for anything
> missing.

Nero 8 does video edition, DVD mastering, format converting, media
playing, all that from a single, coherent GUI.
> I don't know enough about that to recommend anything, as I've never
> used iTunes. I do love Amarok, though, and via kioslaves I am sure
> that it would handle remote files.

I use Amarok on my Ubuntu laptop. It's a world away from iTunes for
managing a 15k song library and doing heavy editing of it.

Gilles.