virtualbox fans?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Jul 30 19:01:45 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

> I am using Win2KP as the guest, so unfortunately I can't vouch for
> WinXP. However on my Win2KP under Entire Network I can see & use:
>
> - Microsoft Windows Network
>   o Mshome
>     All samba shares to my machines where I allow access are listed
>   o Workgroup
>     A new system that I've brought up using the Win default 'Workgroup'
> - VirtualBox Shared Folders
>   o \\VBOXSVR\<shared folder on this host machine>
>   o \\VBOXSVR\<another shared folder on this host machine>
> - Computers Near Me
>   o My laptop, and 4 other of my systems (2 connected via wireless)

This part I'll have to double check on my test system :-)

> To set the VBOXSVR folders, you need to define them in Devices|Shared
> Folders. They can be transient or machine. Note: I use NAT mode, not
> bridged - all of the machines I can browse are all on the same subnet
> (192.168.4.xyz) as this (host) machine.

Did this part - currently shared as "machine", and the testbed is NAT.
Testbed is virtual to 10.0.2.x, host is in 10.46.x.x.

I can say I'm not finding anything other than the label of "virtualbox
shared folders" as an icon in entire network, using net use x:
\\vboxsvr\sharename (no matter which shared folder name I have tried so
far) gives an error...think it's error 67, and trying \\vboxsvr in the
address bar in case I can browse like a network share just gives an error.

> I highly recommend that you also subscribe to the VB mailing list/group:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
> They do a pretty good job & several of the developers hang out &
> actually respond on the list (albeit quite often with RTFM section x :-).

I'll hang on to this mail and check it out later. I don't mind the RTFM
pointers if it means finding what Google hasn't given me...so far I'm
not getting anywhere with the directions that I've found in the program,
off VB site, and from Google! Although I did find some people hinting
this may be a bug with 1.6x that started in some 1.5 releases...but
nothing definitive so far.