virtualbox fans?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 30 18:50:36 UTC 2008

On 07/30/2008 10:16 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/30/2008 08:32 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>
>>> I was afraid of that. Just when I told myself I can live with that as
>>> long as it has the "shared folders" feature, that doesn't seem to work!
>>>
>>> I can't find it in the network browsing, even though I set one up and
>>> the log said shared networking is enabled. I go to My Network Places,
>>> view workgroup computers, and my workgroup, and it's just the virtual
>>> system's name. Click entire network, then VirtualBox Shared Folders, and
>>> it's blank.
>>>
>>> This is the latest binary version, 1.6.2, with WinXP guest on Ubuntu 8.04.
>>>

>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
>> [Windows Shared Folders]
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
>
> I'm not going to say it doesn't work since I'm not at that system at the
> moment, but I wondered if you could verify this...
>
> I had a window where I could browse my local workgroup and another icon
> marked virtualbox shared drives, and the virtualbox entry was blank and
> the local workgroup just has the virtualized system.
>
> I also couldn't use \\vboxsrv or \\vboxsvr in the address bar to browse
> shares?
>
> Are these normal? I'll try the fixes in the link you sent when I get a
> chance.

I am using Win2KP as the guest, so unfortunately I can't vouch for
WinXP. However on my Win2KP under Entire Network I can see & use:

- Microsoft Windows Network
  o Mshome
    All samba shares to my machines where I allow access are listed
  o Workgroup
    A new system that I've brought up using the Win default 'Workgroup'
- VirtualBox Shared Folders
  o \\VBOXSVR\<shared folder on this host machine>
  o \\VBOXSVR\<another shared folder on this host machine>
- Computers Near Me
  o My laptop, and 4 other of my systems (2 connected via wireless)

To set the VBOXSVR folders, you need to define them in Devices|Shared
Folders. They can be transient or machine. Note: I use NAT mode, not
bridged - all of the machines I can browse are all on the same subnet
(192.168.4.xyz) as this (host) machine.

I highly recommend that you also subscribe to the VB mailing list/group:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
They do a pretty good job & several of the developers hang out &
actually respond on the list (albeit quite often with RTFM section x :-).