What's up with aptitude?

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 17:12:11 BST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Alan Milnes <deep64blue at itguru.org.uk>wrote:

> Ubuntu 8.04 is an LTS release, which means it will be stable and
> supported for a number of years. Changes are very carefully managed and
> are mainly for security fixes etc. This is a *good* thing ESPECIALLY for
> Servers.
>
> You can have a look in Software Sources and enable proposed and
> unsupported updates if you want to live at the edge - or download the
> betas of Intrepid (the next Ubuntu version) and try it out.

Thanks for your help.

I think what I need to do is install Intrepid. This server of mine is only a
small personal server that I use for a couple of things, so I don't mind a
devel version of Ubuntu on it, if that's the way I have to go for the latest
packages. Can I update my version of Ubuntu to Intrepid easily through
PuTTY? If so, can you tell me where to start? Perhaps there's a tutorial I
can read? Thanks again.