package ubuntu-desktop

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 30 14:21:16 UTC 2008

Steve Flynn wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Donny George <donny008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> i also the dpkg command as was instructed in one of the ubuntu forums
>> that this was the command to detect the graphics card and monitor
>> manually. but other than asking for the keyboard it asked for nothing
>> more
>>
>> so how cud i possibly get the resolution and proper display on my ubuntu
>> server
>

> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Oh, I wish...  That's always a good way to start, but don't be surprised if
it doesn't help.

I just upgraded my kernel to 2.6.26 (from intrepid) because my HP laptop has
_always_ failed to properly boot 2.6.24 kernels, and everything worked
nicely except the xorg.conf settings.  As usual, I had to manually rework
my xorg.conf, as the result of "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" was
even worse than I had before reconfiguring.
--
derek