Compiz and googleearth, tuxkart, torcs, etc

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 30 14:14:50 UTC 2008

Alain Muls wrote:

> What is happening with these programs is that the screen is constantly
> flickering when I run either one of them.
> I switched my resolution a bit lower froml 1900x1200 to 1600x1050 and it
> is getting better, but I do not want to go lower.
>
> My card is an ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400 with (I think)
> 1 MB of memory (how do I find out?)

The first thing to check with flickering is always refresh rate.  CRTs at
60Hz flicker horribly (especially under flourescent lighting), so you
always want the refresh rate as high as possible.  LCD screens, otoh,
normally run at 60Hz but even they sometimes do better if you can raise the
refresh rate.
--
derek