The Ubuntu Experiment

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:28:42 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 Joel Bryan Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com>:
> I think the term "Free" should be more emphasized as a feature other
> than a virtue of open source. People nowadays will tend to believe
> that a thing being *Free* is something that have less worth value.
> Personally, I see being *Free* as a worry-free system policy feature
> that is open source and highly collaborated which ensures the best
> upgrades, security, innovations and new features. *Free* can also mean
> something you get from torrent sites for *Free*(which is another
> story). The real sad truth is it's really hard to generate
> appreciation from something that they take from granted, but a
> *Bundle* is something that have more value than something that is
> *Free*.
> Like the gift of free will, a drug-free community, and free from
> suffering. *Free* is a vision, a gift, and a promise of an open
> future.

From experience 'free' in any sense does not interest anyone. In the
price sense, we are dealing with people who have already paid for
their OS. In the libre sense, most people don't care.

Let's not degrade this into another "freedom! freedom!" thread. I want
to concentrate on what people can *do* with their machines, not what
freedoms they will be afforded or money they will save.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il