Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live CD

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 30 02:52:21 UTC 2008

On 07/29/2008 07:27 PM, Leif Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:56:06 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> None of this makes any sense... I'm not implying that you are wrong,
>> just that it doesn't make any sense for any of the CD's or DVD to ask
>> for a userid and password unless of course you are installing from and
>> then they ask as part of setting up a new user.  This is your's
>> correct? https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/39033
>
> I have had this happen to me once, but not with an Ubuntu DVD. I ended
> up where Jerry was with a DVD from http://live.linux-gamers.net/ I
> didn't get much time to try and figure out what happened. I should play
> with it again and test it on another machine.

Looks like I was wrong:
Apparently other's have had the problem with the Ubuntu issued LiveCD as
well.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bdaily+build+%2Bpassword
and
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login
I wonder if the shipit CD's require your login info to run the CD/DVD?

Still makes no sense. Downloaded LiveCD and Alternate CD's (8.04.1)
requires no password. I'm downloading the DVD now and will report back
on that in 12 or more hours :-) after the download finishes. I've set
the download speed to 900Kbps so that it doesn't swamp my little DSL
line during the download.