Unable to use Ubuntu 8.04 live

Jerry Alber jalber at kitcarson.net
Wed Jul 30 00:10:00 UTC 2008

I am trying to use a live Ubuntu DVD (ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack) and after
choosing the language and "Try Ubuntu without any change to your
computer", I eventually get a request for a "User ID" and a "Password".

My machine is a multiboot with XP, Ubuntu Studio 7.10, Ubuntu Graphics
and Fedora 8. With a Live DVD, should I even be getting a request for a
User ID and Password? If so, then what might they be? I have tried
everything but to no avail. Is the installation DVD seeing something
that it interprets as me already having the above? I have used other
live CDs including Knoppix and Kubuntu and they don't ask for a an ID or
Password.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? If so, I certainly
could use some help with this.

I have tried the Ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack, Ubuntu 8.04 double sided DVD for
both 32 and 64 bit, the "official" Ubuntu 8.04 CD and downloaded a
Ubuntu 8.04 iso file, all with the same results of asking for a User ID
and a Password.

Thanks for your help,

Jerry