virtualbox fans?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at
Tue Jul 29 17:59:47 UTC 2008

Okay, experimenting with VM's after being soured to VMWare Server having
"minor problems" with networking on latest kernels in Hardy.

I took a test system and installed VirtualBox from the .deb binary (not
OSE version) from VirtualBox's site.

Installed WinXP. It's running with NAT networking, as it appears that
there are a few hoops you have to jump through to get bridging to work
properly :-/

Clarification: if I have a network of 192.168.x.x, with the host on, and the guest in VirtualBox is NAT'd to by it's
own autoconfiguration, it looks like it can get into the Internet but I
can't ping or connect to a machine on, say,, within my own
network? And can't get into the VM's system unless I enable
port forwarding on to point to the address?