Evolution

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jul 29 17:53:04 UTC 2008

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 05:42:24 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>>> I can't quite make out if you're asking me to give you statistics on
>>> where you were wrong or not.. But if it'd make you happy send me an
>>> e-mail off-list and I'll do it for you. Not sure it's going to make
>>> your life any better for it.
>>>
>>> Here's one to get you started with regards to an acceptable sample
>>> size. This will at least tell you if your 100 messages is sufficient.
>>>

> [...]
>
>>> http://stattrek.com/Lesson6/SampleSize.aspx?Tutorial=Stat
>>>
>>     Your building a case for errors to occur due to the sample size and
>> the source of the data. I have never said it was perfect. Yes there are
>> all the problems you point out.
>>
>>     But are you saying that in the general Ubuntu population use of
>> Evolution is greater than the use of Thunderbird? That makes the users
>> of this list weird. And it is not supported by any statistics I have
>> seen.
>>

> Then open your eyes!
>
> #<name> is the package name;
> #<inst> is the number of people who installed this package;
> #<vote> is the number of people who use this package regularly;
> #<old> is the number of people who installed, but don't use this package
> #        regularly;
> #<recent> is the number of people who upgraded this package recently;
>
> #rank name                            inst  vote   old recent
> 443   evolution                      509363 80793 404082 24432
> 587   thunderbird                    141871 45359 91515  4937
>
> Here is the problem: Your data says 509363 people Installed evolution. This is not accurate. The number comes because every Ubuntu loaded has evolution.
    Now 141817 it seems loaded Thunderbird. They had to apt-get the
software. But only 45,359 people are using it. Old is just a subtraction.

    For some reason the data shows 80,793 people are now using
evolution. This is a great difference with both my 100 email samples of
this list.

    Now my question remains, how were these numbers computed. In
particular how was the number of d/l Thunderbird NOT USED counted?

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User