Move to 8.04, Hardy Heron

Michael.Coll-Barth at VerizonWireless.com Michael.Coll-Barth at VerizonWireless.com
Tue Jul 29 14:53:25 UTC 2008

> From: (``-_-ยดยด) -- Fernando [mailto:ubuntu at bugabundo.net]

> Michael.Coll-Barth at verizonwireless.com wrote:
> > This weekend, I actually went so far as to click on the
> Upgrade button
> > for 8.04.  Then I saw how long the download would take,
> multiplied that
> > by 5 ( the number of Ubuntu systems I have ) and said
> 'nyet'.  I found
> > an old email in this forum that talked about doing upgrades
> using the
> > alternative CD.  So, I went and downloaded it and tried the
> following
> > suggestion.
>
> You could easily just upgraded one machine and then copied
> the /var/cache/apt to the other machines!
> #sudo apt-get clean
> #sudo apt-get update
> #update-manager -d
>
> see how easy!?

Fernando,

I tried setting something up along similar lines but ran into a problem.  We had a power failure during the install on the second machine, which caused it to go down.  When it came back up, I had to do a couple of things to get things right again.  I do not remember all of it at the moment and can't look at the history on the machine, as I am in the office.  I got lazy and did the third machine from scratch and let it pull everything down from the repositories.  It was finished a few hours later.

Go out for dinner and upgrade the OS.  Sounds like an old TV ad where a woman is out shopping and she says to the camera, "I'm cleaning my bathroom".

Short of it all, I do want to setup something like what you suggest.

thanks,
Michael

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure.  If the reader
copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.