Why can't I rename my floppy drive?

Jimmy Montague rhetoric102 at iowatelecom.net
Tue Jul 29 11:59:31 UTC 2008

I installed a floppy drive. Nautilus showed the drive (named FLOPPY)
present in the system. To test the drive, I gave it a diskette named
QMOSAIC1. Then I right-clicked the icon and selected "mount". Ubuntu
read the diskette and changed the name of the drive to QMOSAIC1. Now I
can't change the name of the drive back to FLOPPY. Whenever I try,
Nautilus gives me an error:

"Sorry, couldn't rename "QMOSAIC1" to "FLOPPY": Operation not supported
by backend."

What can I do about that?

I tried a terminal window: gksudo nautilus and all of that. The floppy
icon doesn't show up until I put a diskette in it and mount the drive.
When I then try to rename it, Nautilus says it can't rename because the
device is in use.

What can I do about that?

How do I make this machine do what I want it to do?

I never had problems like this in Windoze.