Evolution

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 02:07:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM, David Vincent
<dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:
> Who was on Ubuntu, who was on Kubuntu and who was on Xubuntu?
> Thunderbird still comes installed by default on Ubuntu right?  As does

Or who are technically ubuntu users but like myself did not install
from kubuntu disks? It's a little different when you have 3 different
(or more) branches of ubuntu to measure. But for all real respects
we're tallking about one distro here, not three (not that "three in
one' debate please) ;).

To me, it makes sense that evolution would be installed by default on
ubuntu, since it comes with gnome, and evolution tends to be more
tightly integrated to gnome than to another desktop. (But to me they
could have chosen sylpheed, which is also a gtk based application, and
probably takes fewer resources.) Likewise, kmail is "part of" kde in
the same way that evolution is "part of" gnome, but that doesn't mean
I use kmail as a KDE user (rarely, actually). And for the xubuntu
crowd, I guess they had to pick something :) because xfce doesn't have
a "standard" gui mail reader.

I don't have thunderbird installed - I didn't ask for it, and it
wasn't automatically installed.