Evolution

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Jul 28 22:36:50 UTC 2008

Brian McKee wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
>> John Masters wrote:

>>    Here they are. Lots of things can be wrong but all results are
>> presented. The sample size of 100 is small but I am lazy :-)
>>

>>                What E-mail Client do we use on Ubuntu?
>>
>>        Checked 100 of the last emails to this list and the results are
>> as follows:
>>
>> Thunderbird     36
>> Gmail           20
>> Evolution       12
>> Firefox         5
>> Mutt            3
>> Apple           2
>> Microsoft       2
>> All Others      30
>>
>>        The results show that Thunderbird is used 3 times more often
>> than Evolution and more times than All Others. I was surprised at all
>> the Gmail use.
>>
>>        Another result is as follows. All 100 users have Evolution on
>> their computer but only 12 are using it. One third of the users choose
>> to download Thunderbird and use that.
>>

> Hey Karl
>
> I think the problem with your method is that is counts people on this
> list who post alot - rather than all ubuntu users.  There's lots of
> them that never post to this list.  There's also some people on this
> list - like yourself say - that post alot.  So, it skews the results
> that way.
>
> I know that I would show up in the stats for this list (if you sampled
> enough email) as Apple Mail, Gmail, IceDove and Evolution.  Depends on
> where I'm sitting when I start typing.
    I think you were the two Apple Mail. You were counted as that.

>   I think the larger sample size
> of the popularity info is more representative of Ubuntu as a whole.

    I do not know what the popularity info is. How is it gathered and
what is all the numbers? What does it have to do with probability?
> Those stats are there for exactly the reason you started out
> commenting on.  Popular stuff goes on the CD and not popular stuf
> doesn't.  Full points for the idea, it was right on.

    Well my data with possible errors proves that in the 100 email
sample there were as many as 12 Evolutions used. There were more Gmail
and Thunderbird.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI