8.04 MTA?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Jul 28 14:16:23 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Dan Farrell wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:42:47 -0300
>> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

>>> Procmail can do that itself.
>
> I can't believe I said that.  What I was really thinking was that I use
> Fetchmail to get mail, and do deliver it to a local MTA, but could just
> deliver it to Procmail directly.
>> What mail server wouldn't be running POP or IMAP?  The MUA should be
>> able to pull (or view) the mail directly from(on) th server!

Be that as it may, the children these days just have no appreciation for
how we did things back in the day before these fancy new memory sucking
all-in-one GUI apps.  I say, if you want to use a classic unix
environment, you most certainly need an MTA.  Fortunately, installing
postfix (or sendmail, if you're a masochist) is really easy and needs no
configuration to work. (Although, if your box is directly connected to
the Internet, you should configure a firewall as well)