Running out of disk space!

Dan Farrell dan at spore.ath.cx
Sun Jul 27 22:30:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:10:07 -0400
"pat decampos" <decampos at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> It seems like I am running out of disk space on my home partition. I
> instalhttp://img99.imageshack.us/img99/646/screenshotsystemmonitorxz0.pngled
> through Wubi in Windows, and thought that 10GB would be enough. I've
> attached a link to a screenshot hoping it would aid thesituation:
> http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/646/screenshotsystemmonitorxz0.png

good thinking, the command line program 'df' probably would have been
a lot less hassle, but this works.

> I tried expanding the /host/ubuntu/disks/boot device using gparted,
> but that did nothing to improve /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk.
> Where should I be doing that? Aren't they the same device?

No, they aren't the same disk. If you were to send over the output of
'df' and of 'sudo fdisk -l'  it would be a little easier to see your
partitioning scheme and advise, but from what you did provide, it looks
as if you have quite a lot of extra space in /boot.  /boot generally
holds files to be used at the very beginning of the computer's boot
process; the grub menu, the linux kernels, possibly some graphics...

If this is the common way of doing it, you'll find that the 'mount'
command will show that boot and root are in fact entirely different
partitions, and that you should probably shrink /boot down
significantly and put that space in / (root).

Exactly how you managed to fill almost 9G of data in /boot is actually
beyond me, but I would have expected it to be much closer to a few
tenths of a gigabyte .. but I'm not on ubuntu right now, so perhaps
other list viewers can back me up on this.