8.04 MTA?

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sun Jul 27 21:47:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:39:09PM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> postfix is still the default MTA because when you don't have one
> installed and install a package that depends on having an MTA, Ubuntu
> installs postfix as the dependency. It is also the default because the
> offical docs assume or describe postfix, as you have noticed. Further, I
> expect that the server team focuses its testing on postfix.

And because of postfix's long and steady record of being a top notch
performer. And because it was designed from the ground up with
security as high priority. And its configuration is saner than some of
the alternatives. In fact, if you need a real MTA, I can't think of a
good reason to use anything else. Its painless to install. It works
out of the box for most typical cases.

--
Hal