Compiling code

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 27 02:02:09 UTC 2008

On 07/26/2008 09:13 AM, Keith Clark wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 22:52 -0400, Keith Clark wrote:
>>
>>> All I wanted to do is
>>> install a printer and an adapter!
>>>
>>> I have no issues learning all of this, and one day I will, but for now
>>> I just want my printer to work and all of the drivers are in source
>>> code.  What a pita this is!
>>>

>> I very much doubt that you have to compile anything to get a printer to
>> work. What printer model do you have and what did you try so far to make
>> it work? Where did you get that idea that you'd have to compile a
>> driver? Where did you download the source code for that?
>>
>> In general, it helps to tell the mailing list what you are trying to
>> achieve: describe the goal, not the step:
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal
>>

> Mario,
>
> It's a Star TSP600 Thermal Receipt Printer via Cable Unlimited USB 2.0
> to RS232 Serial Adapter
>
> Keith

Keith, Mario has given you a link that may work. But I have a few questions:

1. Have you tested your USB-Serial device with anything else? Meaning;
does it actually work with some other standard serial device?
2. Do you not have an existing serial port on the machine? If so, have
you tried connecting the device that way?
3. The libstario_linux86_20040820.tar.gz provides a "readme" file that
gives information on compiling the code. Have you read that and followed
the instructions provided?