how do I setup a Ubuntu domU on a Fedora Core 8 XEN server?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 12:38:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a Ubuntu domU XEN guest, on
> > Fedora Core 8 XEN server.
> >
>    I am a long time Linux user but your request beats all. What is a
> domU XEN guest?

XEN is a virtualization technology which allows you to run other OS's and
distro's on the main OS - very similar to VMWare. Check out
http://www.xen.org for more info on it.

> > Before you tell me to try the FC mailing list, I have asked on the CentOS
> > mailing list already, and was reffered here.
>    Try the FC8 list. CentOS is not a development version.

CentOS is a development version, what gives you the idea it isn't?
Whether I use CentOS or Fedora Core doesn't make much difference in this
instance. Both are Red Hat based, and the procedure would be the same. I use
both, and just happen to have FC8 installed right now. Needless to say, the
suggestion to come here will be the same, since Ubuntu is a debian based
system, and differs quite a bit from the rpm based systems.

> >  I got some nice tutorials on
> > how to setup a Ubuntu XEN server, and then install the Ubuntu XEN guest,
> but
> > that doesn't work on a different Linux distro.
> >

>    Is that a surprise?

Why would it be a surprise? Have you setup any virtual servers before? Do
you know how they operate?

> > Can someone please direct me to a working tutorial on how to get it to
> work?
> >

>    Nope.
>
> Karl
>

> --
>
>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>        Linux User
>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>   PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C  ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers