Compiling code

David Fox dfox94085 at
Sat Jul 26 02:45:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Keith Clark <keithclark at> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile some device drivers to no avail.  All I get is a huge
> string of error codes each time.  With a stock Ubuntu 8.04 install, does
> this allow a su to compile code?

In looking at the errors it would seem that you don't have the
kernel-headers package installed for the running kernel.

Of course, I could be wrong. One way to tell would be to look at some
of the driver source files, look at include statements and then
attempt to derive (via wajig whichpkg or other method) the package
that provides that header. By a process of elimination, you can bring
in all the needed packages. Unless something borks, then you don't
need to do that again to compile other sources, unless they have
headers that you don't have installed.

That's the approach I have taken when trying to compile things. Or you
could use build-dep and get the build dependencies that way (via an
apt command).