Home Setup

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri Jul 25 23:39:44 UTC 2008

Hi, Verde!

It's not too hard.

So you know your static IP address. You've done the hardest.

Now, behind your WRT54G router, you should also assign static IPs to the
boxes you want to connect to from the internet. That can be done easily.
If you have stock Linksys firmware... but I prefer putting a firmware
like Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) which lets you easily
assign fixed IP addresses based on the MAC address of your device.

Then, from the router, you program (there's a GUI for that) port forwarding.

Say on your internal box, at address 192.168.0.69 (I love that number)
you have an SSH server running on port 22... you'd program a rule that
say forward port 22 requests to 192.168.0.69 on port 22... and voila.
>From the outside, you ssh to your fixed IP... and the WRT54G will
forward the packets to the box inside.

You would do that for each useful port (80 / 443 for the web server, 22
for SSH, 25 for SMTP, and so on).

If you have multiple machines offering the same service on same ports
(say you have 2 machines inside that you want to reach by SSH) then use
different ports on the outside.

For example, forward port 22 outside to server one port 22 inside, then
port 23 outside to server two port 22 inside...

You get the idea...

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
ICQ : *77488526*