8.04 networking seems awfully broken.

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Jul 25 14:16:02 UTC 2008

On 2008-07-25, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Obviously you _did_ eventually have some network connection in order to
> load:
>
><quote>
>  2) Firmware for the the wireless chipset had to be manually
>      downloaded, extracted (using a utility that had to be
>      built from a source tarball), and copied into
>      /lib/firmware.
></quote>
>
> or did you load that tarball via some other means?

I downloaded, extracted/built the firmware cutter, downloaded
the firmware, and extracted the firmware on a different
machine.  Then I transferred the firmware files using a USB
flash drive.

> Obviously it did have some network connection, and if not a simple $20
> Airlink 101 USB to ethernet adaptor works just fine for a hardwired
> connection. You might want to buy one of those just to have on hand;

Definitely a good idea.  Also useful when one occasionally
needs a second Ethernet interface on a machine.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I don't know WHY I
                                  at               said that ... I think it