8.04 networking seems awfully broken.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jul 25 02:41:56 UTC 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:

>> It's not - but it's also not what I've ever seen.  What do you have
>> in /etc/network/interfaces?
>
> I never looked (the machine's been packed up to be shipped
> back).  I assumed that the network manager was supposed to take
> care of that stuff.

Smart assumption.  Network manager EXPLICITLY ignores any interface you've
configured in /etc/network/interfaces.  Since you talked about "manual
configuration" it's a safe bet there IS something in there.  When you start
messing with things you don't understand, don't blame the system when you
break it.

>> I know that, but it ISN"T YOUR PROBLEM!  Zeroconf is purely a
>> fallback for the situation where there is no DHCP available.
>
> But I didn't want it to do the zeroconf thing.  I'm not on a
> "windows network".  If there's no DHCP server, I want the
> interface to stay down.  On my networks, coming up with some
> 192.168.x.* address is simply not the right thing to do.

It doesn't matter - that wasn't your problem.  It may have masked your
problem by showing you an active interface, but that wasn't why you
couldn't access the network.  You couldn't access the network, because it
wasn't getting an IP address from DHCP.

> I guess something else is wrong with the network manager, then.

I _guess_ you disabled it - but we'll never know.
--
derek