Editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jul 24 17:49:13 UTC 2008

elmo wrote:
> My GRUB boot menu lists Windows XP first with an autoboot in 10 seconds
> and three versions of UBUNTU in the remainder of the menu.  This is
> because I have great-grandchildren who bring their game CDs with them
> when they visit and I wanted Windows XP to autoboot so they can use
> their CDs without needing to figure out what to select so they can use
> their game CDs.
>
> What I did was edit the default UBUNTU /boot/grub/menu.lst by copying
> and dropping the menu items to rearrange their order on the boot menu.
>
> I had to change the permissions for menu.lst so that I could save the
> changes I made, then after the changes were saved, I didn't bother to
> returned the permissions back to its original form. So far, no problem.
>
> I take over occasionally and select one of the UBUNTU to let them
> experience gaming in a different operating system in the hope they'll
> look forward to choosing UBUNTU in the boot menu.
>
> Comments ?
>
> elmo

    The file menu.lst is normally a root file. This is to protect it
from children :-)

You can change it back to root in a terminal do $ sudo chown root
/boot/grub/menu.lst and that will do it. In the future you can edit the
file with gedit if you start that with $ sudo gedit.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User