ALC 888 sound card

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Jul 24 16:01:25 UTC 2008

> I'm using a MEDION MD 96640 laptop with a ALC 888 sound car (from Realtek?)
> which performs perfectly in Win Vista.
> In Ubuntu 8.04 I hear a very weak sound (with all settings to max).
> Is there a solution?

Hi,

I recently bought a new computer, which happens to have that very same
sound chip. I too have (extremely) low sound volume unfortunately.
I searched the web a bit and quickly found out that:

1) it's a very well know problem
2) there is no solution sadly, no choice but live with it ! :-/

Since I have desktop computer, it was feasible to add separate and
amplified loudspeakers, which, once set to the max, produce
decent/acceptable output. But sadly in your case you have a laptop so
not practical/possible to do the same :-/

Only thing you can do is make sure that in the volume control panel,
the "Front" slider/channel is set to the max. But other than that...

Sorry for the bad news...

--
Vince, going to buy a new sound card...