Editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Thu Jul 24 15:45:51 UTC 2008

My GRUB boot menu lists Windows XP first with an autoboot in 10 seconds
and three versions of UBUNTU in the remainder of the menu.  This is
because I have great-grandchildren who bring their game CDs with them
when they visit and I wanted Windows XP to autoboot so they can use
their CDs without needing to figure out what to select so they can use
their game CDs.

What I did was edit the default UBUNTU /boot/grub/menu.lst by copying
and dropping the menu items to rearrange their order on the boot menu.

I had to change the permissions for menu.lst so that I could save the
changes I made, then after the changes were saved, I didn't bother to
returned the permissions back to its original form. So far, no problem.

I take over occasionally and select one of the UBUNTU to let them
experience gaming in a different operating system in the hope they'll
look forward to choosing UBUNTU in the boot menu.

Comments ?

elmo