Hard drive weirdness.

David Gibb degibb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 18:39:15 UTC 2008

> mdadm is not getting confused by the changing drive letters.  By
> default, mdadm scans all devices to find members of it's raid array,,
> but it may need a bit of convincing to start a degraded array if one of
> the drives is simply missing out of the blue..

Good to know! But my impression from what you said was that simply
pulling the drive might not be the greatest idea. I suppose I could
simulate a failure using one of the software tools, but that somehow
isn't quite as satisfying to me as seeing the raid array continue
working without a drive.

Another thing I was hoping to find out is which physical sata drive is
sda and which physical drive is sdb. When mdadm tells me /dev/sda has
failed, for example, I'd really like to replace the right drive.

At first I thought that the drive names wouldn't change as they did,
so pulling a drive would tell me which drive name is was (by looking
at mdadm --detail /dev/md0 and looking at which drive had failed).
Obviously this isn't the case, so my current best idea involves using
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null and a stethoscope ;-) Please tell me there
is a better way...

Thanks again,
David