HOW TO: PPTP Bridging

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:33:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:53 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Robert Dailey <rcdailey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have my own personal LAN with 2 computers on it. One is my linux
>> > server, which uses Ubuntu Server 8.04. The other is my windows machine
>> > that I use as my personal desktop. There is a 3rd computer on the
>> > internet somewhere that is hosting a Microsoft VPN server that I want
>> > to bridge with my own LAN. What I want to do is have my Ubuntu server
>> > maintain a constant connection to this remote VPN so that I can access
>> > it at any time with no effort from my Windows machine on my LAN. Would
>> > this be possible? I did a bit of google searching, however I didn't
>> > find anything very helpful.
>> >

>> Yes, it's doable.
>>
>> See http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/routing.phtml#lan-to-lan
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> What am I supposed to do with the code snippets in the green areas in the
> page you linked me to? Are those scripts?

The code in the green areas is configuration information for the
iptables firewall.

Hopefully without offending anyone,  I'm inclined to think that while
this is doable - perhaps you shouldn't.  Setting it up will be
technically challenging, and troubleshooting issues later even more
so.

If someone else here has a more plug-n-pray solution please speak up now :-)

Maybe we can help a different way.  Why do you not want to connect the
XP machine directly to the VPN server?  PPTP tunnels start very
quickly usually so I'm not sure why you are trying to set up a middle
man.  Maybe understanding the issue better will prompt other thoughts.

Brian