ubuntu 8.04 +ATI +Compiz

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Jul 22 17:59:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 17:44 +0300, H. Ibrahim Hancioglu wrote:
> I am user of ubuntu 8.04 and latest ATI drivers(8.7). The videos and
> OpenGL applications are flickering while compiz is enabled. What is your
> suggestions?

Hard to say. What is the exact model of your graphics card? Until
recently I ran a laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobile X1300, and had no such
issues with compiz.

Also, it would help if you could define "flickering" more precisely. For
example, when does it happen, if you move windows around or all the
time.

> May I switch to open sourced drivers?

ATi released sufficient specs to write a 3D-accelerated driver only for
a very limited set of graphics cards (which are all older models, as far
as I know). Again, which model do you use?

> or do you have any
> patch to solve that problem?

If your card requires the proprietary drivers, then only ATi can fix
them :(